Thursday, November 19, 2009

Round 2 is Just as Good

Remember when I asked you to watch some TV for homework?  Well, I forgot to add one show to it, mostly likely because this one is on TLC and not Food Network.  This show is called Cook Once, Eat Twice.  It’s all about… leftovers!

Leftovers are the perfect, hidden way to save money on cooking.  If you’re going to take the time to make a meal, you know it’s going to be something you really like.  However, at the same time, you don’t want to like it for the next couple days.  You taste buds get sick of it (remember when we were talking about spices?  Same thing).

The secret to cooking leftovers is to make something new with them.  Here are some tricks of the trade when it comes to making new meals with old leftovers.  Also, if you’re all about the Italian side of things, here are 7 ways to use leftovers to make a new Italian style meal.  Yummy!

Also, I promised you on Monday that I would tell you why Sandra’s Money Saving Meals is my favorite show out of the ones I listed.  It’s quite simple.  She does a segment called “Round 2.”  She takes the leftovers from one of her already money saving recipes and makes something new from it.

This is perfect because when my boyfriend and I cook, it is normally just for the two of us.  There are rarely any recipes that are made for 2 portions.  Almost always 4 or more.  We got sick of leftovers… until I discovered this.

There are two samples for you!  The first is a calzone recipe made from leftover spaghetti and meatballs.  The second is pork pot stickers from Pulled Pork Sandwiches!  The great thing about all of these is that if you prefer that recipe, you can just make that and don’t have to worry about Round 1!



No comments:

Post a Comment