Thursday, November 5, 2009

But What Does That Mean?!

When I was doing my research for this week’s theme, I found that saving money on grocery shopping is a hot topic.  There are millions of articles that I found just on Google.  The problem was that most of them all said the same thing… and none of those things were really the ones I use myself.

It was very interesting.  I started wading through all the different “How To” guides, trying to find something that was a little different, very helpful, and interesting, besides those ones that explained how to get the most out of a coupon.

You’re more than welcome to go hunt out some ideas of your own.  I mean, I’m not going to re-create the article that has 1001 different ways to save money on grocery shopping.  I don’t have time to write it and 10-to-1, you don’t have time to read something like that.

So here, I’m breaking down the all stars and letting you know exactly what wach tip means.


  • 1.    Look at the “per ounce” price.  Macaroni is a staple in my place.  But, I’ve found that sometimes the “family” sized boxes are actually more expensive per ounce than the normal box.  Why?  I have no idea.  But when it comes to 3.8 cents per ounce and 2.4 cents… I’m going for the lower.  It’s just comparing apples to apples.  Learn to read the labels and price tags.
  • 2.    Curb the Grumbling.  Yes.  It’s traditional, but it’s also like Derek Jeter in the All Star game.  An oldie, but goodie.  Eat before you go.  Everything looks good when you’re starving and those smells from the deli hit your nose..
  • 3.    Go Generic.  Store brands tend to be a lot cheaper than the name brands.  It’s a “duh” kind of thought, but I know I’m guilty of ignoring that because of packaging or whatever.  Just because they’re Whales instead of goldfish doesn’t mean that there’s a taste difference like the sizes of the two animals.  Try it.  You might like it. Note: There are 2 things I refuse to buy generic: Pop-Tarts and Swiss Cake Rolls.  The others are just not the same
  • 4.    Keep An Estimate.  Say something costs $1.82.  Keep in your head that it’s $2.  You have to do it anyway, because you don’t want to be too shocked when you get to the register.  That way, when you reach your total (because you’re obviously using cash), you’ll still come in under!  Another bonus is that you don’t have to keep track of all the extra cents.  It’s easier math.  One thing I would recommend, though, is that you always round up, even if something is $7.23, go up to $8.  $7.50 if you’re trying to stretch it as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment