Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's Made Entirely of Old Underwear!

I’ve found a paradox recently.  I’m guilty of it myself.  Here is the problem: Do-It-Yourself and crafting is supposed to save you money.  However, at the exact same time, a packet of glitter (not necessarily the most needed craft supply) can cost $8.


Ummm… not exactly saving you money there.  So, as one of the hobbies for this week, I’ve made it my mission to find some ways to save on crafting in general.

Which really just brings us to this point right now.  I’m frantically hunting, trying to find something that can be useful and you’re leisurely reading.  This is how it should be.  Well, at the final end of my reading, I have come up with a couple different ideas.
  • 1. Supplies.  Perhaps buying supplies is really where people can feel the crunch.  Well, here are some good ways to navigate those stores and keep yourself on track.  First of all, make a list for your specific project.  Second, always, always look at the ads first; you don’t have to clip coupons to see what’s already on special.  Finally, in the back of the store, past the seasonal items, normally in the left hand corner, there is the clearance aisle.  Go check it out.  Seriously.  There are things back there just waiting to be discovered.
  • 2. Planning.  I alluded to this in number 1.  Know what project you want to make.  There’s nothing wrong with going to a craft store to get inspiration, but try not to buy that same day.  There could be some things you can substitute so you don’t have a cookie-cutter project on a huge budget.  Also, what projects do you have sitting unfinished at home?  You already have the supplies for it… why not do those instead of going out to make more?
  • 3. Organization.  At the very beginning of my blogging career, I did a post on my top ten favorite organizational ideas – they are still valid for crafts, as well as just normal stuff.  How much crap are you re-buying because you can’t find the original?  How much extra Mod Podge did you buy for the last project?  Maybe you can think about trading supplies with other crafters, once you know what you have.
There are lots more ideas to save that I haven’t touched, which is why I have all these pretty green links scattered around.  Do some more reading, there are lots of people out there trying to save money on the same stuff.

PS – If you’re a blog reader, you can check out these Blog Catalog listing.  Some of them seemed slightly promising.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment