Saturday, October 24, 2009

DIY Saturday: Decoupage

Decoupage.  Even when I type that word, it seems infinitely complicated, like there would be no reason in the world to even try it.  I picture a bunch of women (all wearing berets for some reason) speaking French and getting their craft on.  But this cannot be further from the truth.  But there’s something about the word…

So I prefer Modge Podge.   It just sounds so much more informal, which matches my personality just a little bit better.  And this is so easy, even a caveman could do it.

Seriously, do you have fingers or a paintbrush?  What about a sponge?  How about some paper?  Then you have the basic makings for a project.

Modge Podge.  It’s basically gluing and varnishing paper onto something else, combined with different paint effects and varnish to make it shiny.  Here is an example of something that can be done:


All this is is a dowel rod with some magazine pages wrapped around and decoupaged on.  Cut a couple and glue them into place on a frame.  I’ve seen these go for almost $20 at places like Urban Outfitters and some museums.  It’s a great gift idea.

It’s super easy to do, too.  Paint Mod Podge onto the surface and then the paper.  Smooth paper.  Paint over top.  Done.

But, I have the sneaking suspicion that those directions just don’t seem to cut it… so here are some better ideas.  If you’re more of a text person, click here.  This site has all the basic directions for creating a project.  If you’re more of a picture person, here is Crafting on Alfred Avenue’s Mod Podge tutorial.  There are lots of pictures!

Once you learn how to do the process, which is very similar to many pre-school projects I’ve seen my goddaughter doing recently, you’re only limited by your imagination.  There are tons of ideas out there.


I’ve created these here for Christmas gifts.  It’s sheet music on a cheap canvas.  I’m going to paint a wreath on them and *poof* instant gift, for under $5.  My roommate and I are also making frames like the picture above for gifts for people.  We’re using our leftover magazines that we’re done reading.  So each one will cost about $3 for the frame and dowel rods.

This is definitely easy and if you’re worried about your own crafting skills, this might be a good place to start.  You don’t have to make anything too crazy.  Even cards or pockets folders for classes.  You can redo that ugly hand-me-down dresser with this and some new paint.

It’s all definitely better than buying all these things new.

No comments:

Post a Comment