Monday, October 5, 2009

And What Are You Supposed to Be?



Let’s try an exercise.  I don’t really mean like sit ups or push ups or anything.  Just a mental exercise.  Please get out a sheet of paper – either mental or physical.  Oh, and don’t forget the pen, pencil, marker, crayon, or other writing utensil.  Alright, we’re gonna play some word association.

When you read a word, write down or mentally note what you come up with.  I’m really not kidding.  This will be fun – the words are all chosen because to me, they represent October.  And there is a point to this game – I promise.

Baseball.

-- I think about the St. Louis Cardinals. (Go El Hombre)

Midterms.

-- I think about cramming at my desk.

Autumn Leaves.

-- I think about all the different colors.

Halloween.

-- I think about costumes.

I’m going to be a magician.  You either wrote down/thought about costumes or candy.  If I’m wrong, tell me.  There’s a comment box at the end of this post.

There really is nothing else about Halloween that can completely become its symbol.  Costumes.  Candy.  Now, think about those two things in conjunction with saving money.  What costs the most?  Candy and Costumes.

I was walking through one of those really cool Halloween stores that have been popping up recently and I was shocked at the prices.  A costume kit consisting of a headband, elastic tail, and choker necklace cost almost $30.  I almost fell over.  Quite literally.  My friends laughed hysterically.

So I started hunting.  All over the store and all over the internet.  Where can I find some really inexpensive costumes?  I’m going to a party – I want to be prepared.
  • 1.    Last Minute Costumes: However, if midterms and baseball own my life for the next couple weeks, my costume might go by the wayside.  When in a time crunch, people tend to spend more money than they ordinarily would have.  What are some really quick ideas?  How about an artist?  That equals the leftover cardboard from your hot plate project and some paint.  Maybe a smock if you want to get fancy.  This may sound weird, but think ahead for times when you have to act at the last minute.
  • 2.    For Couples: I am attached.  I want the people at the party to know who I am with.  I want to match, as nerdy as that is.  However, I would probably do the same thing if I were going with just friends.  Wilma Flintstone and Betty Rubble.  Two Cards in a deck.  There are hundreds and hundreds of ideas that work with couples.
  • 3.    Completely Free:  If you stick around and read Saturday’s Do-It-Yourself idea, there are tons of ideas that are completely free to create or put together.  How about go as a victim of a closet attack?  Make a duct tape dress.  Trash Bag dress with necktie as a belt.  Be Creative.  There are tons of things out there.

  • 4.    Really, Really Cheap Ideas:  what can you create from a cardboard box, sweat suit, or old t-shirt?  Can you add anything to what you already have to make a costume?  Think about how much cheaper it would be to buy a couple buttons, as opposed to an entirely new costume.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh these are great ideas! I'm totally going through all of those websites. Thanks for the heads up!!!

    ReplyDelete