Thursday, September 24, 2009

I'm a Coke Girl, Myself

In a manner of speaking, that is.  If you remember, I do not drink soda, but…

If I were to post a picture of the dining room area in my apartment, you would see exactly what I mean.  I have bright red and white Coca-Cola placemats.  Bright red Coca-Cola coasters.  Bright red Coca-Cola glasses.  Red Flowers in the middle of the table.  And yes, I am nerdy enough to even have red and white bendy straws.



One of my weaknesses is brand loyalty.  You probably know what that is: consistently choosing one particular brand over another, no matter how difficult it is to find or how expensive it is to purchase.  Besides for the Coca-Cola decorating fetish (Super Chill will not do), my main object of brand loyalty is toothpaste and toaster pastries.  I have to have Colgate and Pop-Tarts, respectively.  The generic brands are just not the same.

I am the perfect example of what not to do.  Companies and associations have entire departments and conferences on how to create brand loyalty.  Here is an entire document written by someone at Cambridge University on how to create brand loyalty.  Is it manipulation?  That’s up to you.

Check out this YouTube Video.  It’s from a documentary called The Corporation.  The goal of the filmmakers was to discuss the corporations using personification.  They created a person from the characteristics of one.



Luckily, in the current economic times, price is actually starting to trump brand loyalty.  The store brands are becoming more and more popular.  Consumers are becoming more involved in the pricing of their purchases.  They want more choice.  This is for you!  You get the choice!

Use it!  When Coke is $4.88 or Aquafina is $6.00, I’m positive that store brands will be $3.00 and $4.00.  It may not seem like a lot, but think about all those Wal-Mart receipts… wouldn’t it be great if the totals on the bottom were a lot lower?

Don’t be me.  Be willing to try Super Chill.

1 comment: